Thursday, July 1, 2010

Answering a few questions.

I didnt really have anything to share today.  Everyone seems too be on a bit of a 'go slow' - even the indefatigable Gertie took time off !  I blame winter but, hey, some of you guys aren't even doing 'winter' !

I have been sewing but nothing I'm inclined to share as all a bit boring really. 

Anyway to dip my toe back in the water, I'm responding [long overdue] to Rachel's tag.  Thanks Rachel for nominating me to answer - I'm so complimented !   My first 'tag'.   I feel like we're buddies now.  You know, if ever I'm in Melbourne I hope I can stay at your house !!   Same goes for if you come to Sydney -  although we don't have a spare room... couch ok?


Anyway, here goes:


1.  What is your favourite pattern of all time?  I'm 3/4 way through the Walkaway Dress and although this is my favourite pattern to look at and fantasize over - I've yet to complete it.   But it does have the honour of being the pattern that got me hooked on retro!  I have a date to do this dress with my girlfriend at the next 50's fair at Rose Seidler House.  Oops - it's in August. better get a move on.   TANYA - how are you going? 

2.  What is one place that you really want to visit that you haven't been to before? I've been to loads of places but you know I never went to fashion museums when I was there so London and NY for sure but for the fashion exhibitions this time! 
 
3. How do you relax?   Well I'm enjoying a nice red wine whilst I compose this post!  But I suppose its the usual - with friends and laughter.  
 
4. What is your favourite childhood memory?   When I was 7 (in 1972 egads!) we went back to Germany for 6 months and we 'skated' on a frozen pond just with our shoes.  Even the 'grown ups' did it and everyone was laughing and having fun.    It was the first time that I had seen snow(having emigrated to Aus when I was 2) and walked on frozen ponds.  I mean, really !?!   You don't see that in downtown Sydney!
  
5. If there was one pattern you could own, regardless of availability, cost, or whether you'd actually make it, what would it be?  

vintageous.com has so many gorgeous creations.  But this dress is fabulous.  Easily reconstructed methinks - of course I don't have anywhere to wear it!:
http://www.vintageous.com/v6023.htm

 
6. If you could spend the rest of your life doing anything you wanted, what would it be?

Really struggling with this one.  Of course I'd love to stay home and sew, but without work where would I wear my creations?  And I get a lot of stimulation at the office.  And the kids are in a great low maintenance stage of life now, so all in all no great yearnings to be off elsewhere.  Right here is fine by me.
 
7. How long do you spend reading blogs (per day or per week)?  I'm terrible !  Its the first thing I do when I log on, and can float around for hours.  I usually know I've had enough when my eyes are burning.  Then its time to turn off and go and sew something.   I love the blogging world.   I tend to see the same people through the blogs that I watch and I love the inter-connectedness of it all.  Its probably a really bizarre psychosis that I have these 'friends' that are only cyber acquaintances, but hey I have enough real life friends and only a few of them share my passion for sewing, and only one for retro goodness !  


Thanks so much Rachel for picking me, its nice to have a think about what you're passions are once in a while instead of just following them blindly !

I don't really have anyone to tag back as all those I follow have been tagged already but I thought I'd give a shout out to the recycling/refashioning site  The Thrifty Garde Robe as its fledgling and there are some kick ass creations there, particularly:

Jenny at Kerrfect: 


and the sewing dork with this fabulous skirt




 It's creator Ninja-Eema

making undies !




Oh hey, I do have something to share - bought today for $5 - its 1.6 metres (reminds me a lot of the gorgeous echino border prints).   Havent thought of a purpose yet...  


 
lore
x

2 comments:

  1. Oohh.. I love that crazy border print you picked up! I'd make a pleated or gathered skirt so the little people get hidden in the pleats...
    Thanks for the link to vintageous.com - always fun to find a new site for inspiration! Enjoyed reading your answers too, especially the childhood memory :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like we're old mates too Lore! Do let me know if you're coming to Melbourne!

    I love the border print, and can't wait to see the Walkaway dress - I own that pattern but have never made it as I got turned off from all the negative pattern reviews, so I can't wait to see and read about yours. It will be perfect for the fair.

    ReplyDelete