Sunday, August 22, 2010

Baguette with Echino Bats

My first completed Baguette made from the pattern I won from Nicole Mallalieu.

Funny about this bag.  When I received the pattern I read and re-read it absorbing all detail.  Then last night I woke up in a hot sweat going 'oh no, I've sewed on the flap without understitching the base'.  TRUE ! 
And today when I started I thought, oh no.  If I use the flap and have a magnetic catch there, do I need to do a magnetic catch on the facing too ?  I emailed Nicole M via her blog at about 10am on Sunday morning and you know what - she emailed me at 10.30 on Sunday morning to let me know that yeah, you can do it both ways, try it out with a pin and see if you like it that way.  Then put in the catch or not as you wish.

NOW THAT IS SERVICE !!   Thanks so much Nikki.   Anyway...

Wow - this was a tricky little demon to make, with lots of understitching.  But well worth the effort it took.  And hey, after making this one, every bag I make will seem like a walk in the park.

And actually, saying that - I completed this entire bag in one day, from tracing the pattern (unneccessary but I do like to waste time like this) to completion in one day, with a break to take kids to an ice skating party and pick up kids from said party... and a stay for cake and chips.

 The inside should have a pocket but I thought in a bag this small, I'll only have keys and money and my glasses so I let that detail slide.

How great is that contrast?   Lime green against royal purple and Westpac red ! Constructions stages (taken with my camera which is dying - above shots taken with husbands camera which is very much alive)
Bag inside with interfacing, pellon and fast 2 fuse.  I stuffed up with the fast 2 fuse and ironed on the interfacing and pellon and then remembered it.  But I fused it over the top of that lot with one more layer of interfacing.  Seems to work ok and I love the sturdiness of the base.
 Testing lengths for the bag strap and fitting the 'o' rings on short straps.   Short straps were 8cm long and the long handle 57cm long (then turned up 4.5 cms each side to enclose the ring).
Pattern review below for anyone interested in tackling this project:

Pattern Description:   Small handbag

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Wow - you bet.  I've seen a few versions of this bag, and its all about the fabric.  Whatever you pick, as long as you love it, it will turn out AWESOME.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes, very detailed instructions as we've come to expect from Nicole Mallalieu patterns. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I like how she explains why we do some stages.  I came away from this project with more confidence in understitching and appreciating its importance in creating smooth clean crisp edges. 

I also like how she gives you options.  Flap ?   Zippered interior pocket?   Different strap styles?  Its a kind of mix and match that ensures the end product is exactly what you need!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I chose to insert rings in the straps.  I cut the strap into three sections two short 8cm sections to hold the ring to the bag body, and one long 56cm section for the strap proper. 

I also left out the interior pocket.  I figured this bag would be for keys, wallet and glasses on weekends, I didnt need a zippered pocket.  I may put one in next time.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes and yes.  I can see this is in so many different fabrics for different moods and for gifts.     

Conclusion:   A gorgeous bag.



So there you have it - definitely one to have a go with. The pattern is here and costs only $21.95.  You could have a production line of beautiful bags in no time.  I mean $22 won't get you a bag this gorgeous, and the fabric use is minimal.  I bet you have some in your stash right now that would make the bag of your dreams.

lore
x

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Love it!

    And I'm SO GLAD you persisted with the understitching. It really does make a huge difference in the way a bag sits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great H. Hope it makes an appearance at work so I can see it for real!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such an amazing bag. I want one! Fantastic fabric too. Great work!

    ReplyDelete