Sunday, September 5, 2010

Homage to Homage to the Square by Josef Albers

I don't know how I've managed to get this far in life and managed to miss the fantastic work of Josef Albers.

I'm in love with his Study for the Homage to the Square

So I managed to buy some similar colours from a quilt shop, but unfortunately the flat colours were TOO flat, so ended up with some with tone on tone style fabrics, but hey, I'm bringing 1965 to 2010.   So here are the fabrics:


And although Josef (a bit familiar, I know, but we're buds now me and J) did these Homages in all sorts of conceiveable colour combinations, the reason I love the orange and yellow is that its so sunny and happy.  And whilst doing a little google research I discovered the SillyBooDilly has a great post on this called the Orange Effect.

She says this:   Psychological Effect: Orange has been shown to have only positive affects on your emotional state. The color orange relieves negative feelings such as self-pity, lack of self-worth and unwillingness to forgive. Orange uplifts your emotions and is a terrific antidepressant.

I don't know if its true, but it feels right !

I measured the dimensions off my monitor from Josef's painting and now I'm ready to 'duplicate'.

Well - I came back to my fabric and what do I find ?


I kicked off Miss Slinky Malinki of course.  Cats can't keep you from creativity.

Deciding on how to bind, wondering do I go for a purist view or chuck in a random border:

Final choice was yellow thanks to a snap poll from my nearest and dearest.  A little mishap whilst mitring the join ensured that perfection was not going to be the theme for the day, and so rather than have all these joins, I threw in a bit of orange on the border after all. 
And so here's the finished item.  Its not as fabulous as Josef Albers, the colours are a bit wrong, but still cute.

And I gave it to someone to cheer them up and made them cry.  That's got to be a good sign, huh ?

lore
x

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome. I would feel immediately cheered receiving such a gift, but would probably also cry from having such a lovely friend who is so thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely gift. I can imagine it would cheer up someone immediately, with those bright and sunny colours.

    ReplyDelete