Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Snoopy laptop bag

This was a request by my daughter who has just discovered Snoopy and loves him big time!

I wanted to make the Nicole Mallalieu laptop bag after I won the pattern so I was happy to oblige.

The pattern is easy, well drafted and comprehensively explained, as her patterns always are.

I found preparing the denim the longest part of the whole job.  Lots of interfacing and pellon involved.  You don't be wanting a floppy laptop bag though, do you ?   The strap was easy as I scavenged it off an op shop laptop bag (one of those promotional ones we all get from work and then throw in to the charity bin without even taking them out of the plastic wrapper) - well thanks to us I scored all the fittings and they've been put to a much nicer purpose.

The laptop pattern proper closes with velcro but I used the clip from the salvaged bag, and I alsodispensed with the bias trim on the flap.  I just couldnt be bothered!   I turned it inside out, sewed around the edges and the understitched and it looks perfect to me.   Maybe the bias makes it stronger or last longer or something.  Hey, this is a snoopy bag for a 12 year old who will move on to the next character in the blink of an eye!

Anyway, here are some inside shots and a gratuitous macro


Not bad attention to detail if I do say so myself !

Lore
x

ps - not that it'll be used for it but yes, it does hold a laptop !


4 comments:

  1. Let me be the first to say fabulous - I would expect nothing less from you H.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Great variations on the original design - which is what it's all about, non?

    The bias tape detail really is optional -I juast had it in the pattern so that it worked with plastic on the flap and becasue I didn't have a pattern with those instructions. You can equally use the bias tape instructions from the laptop bag to vary other bag patterns.

    Love ya work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really should edit an correct typos before I hit "post comment"..... !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just came across this on google and might I add you did a spectacular job here. I need to learn how to sew. I love Snoopy and love the bag

    ReplyDelete