Saturday, November 27, 2010

Vogue 1172 - out and about

Poor me, I was so over this dress by the time the party arrived.  But I frocked up and had a great night and EVERYONE loved my dress.   It did look beautiful.  And who cared if the bottom was a bit wonky?

Preserving the anonymity of my beautiful colleague (whose dress is SOO pretty), giving you the full look here.
I knew I couldnt be bothering with hairdos on the night, so I bought a cheap wig.  Accessorised.  And voila!

Thanks everyone for your assistance with my hemming issues.  I thought the string and chalk method wouldnt work for such a full skirt and I just did as an anonymous poster suggested and hung it on a hanger and measured down from there.  The dress had been hanging for a few days so it was well and truly dropped.

It still wasnt perfect but at that stage I just wanted to finish and forget about it.

I feel so liberated now that its finally done !

lore
x

In summary this dress was easy to make, is very figure flattering and comfortable.
Negatives were definitely hemming.  And the fabric component.  Even cutting off 15cms from the bottom of the pattern pieces didnt save me much.  It took 4.5 metres with a bit left over.
10/10 Vogue 1172 !

If you plan on making it and want to see my progress posts they are here for the toile, here for a progress update, and here for hemming problems with great solutions.

And Sewing Pattern review  here

15 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dress, and it's a great idea to get a wig and not worry about your hair! Beautiful job. I love the purple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - what a great color on you, it looks so rich! I'm sorry for your hemline troubles, but you got a wonderful dress out. I like the wig too - I often walk past several wig stores and I always think "You know, it would be easier...!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks beautiful, you did a great job. Liberated indeed! Thank you so much for sharing the sewing progress because I have this pattern and when I go to make it, I'll be going over your blog for help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG... once again.. you and dress look FABULOUS!!! And the hem looks perfect! Very inspirational... I am adding that pattern to my wishlist immediately. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes H, you looked fabulous on the night - the dress is fantastic. I see my shoulder and arm made it into one of your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny - I can include you in the photo, let me know. I worry people might not like to be included unless given express consent. Its the legal department in me coming out !

    lore
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there - just clicked over from sewretro. This dress looks wonderful! I have this pattern and now have to inspiration to get started on it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning dress! Tell us more about the crinoline please. Did you make it too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, saw your previous post about the petticoat after I left the above message.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A crinoline is a MUST under this dress. I'll do a post showing the various looks with the underskirts. I had a 'medium' crinoline but it wasn't up to the job. I had to pump up the volume. It was another added stress in this dress. thank goodness its all over !
    l

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look fantastic - absolutely gorgeous. All that effort was very much worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dress looks great! Beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Wonderful work getting through the 'hate stage' and finishing it up. You look gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lora, your dress is simply wonderful! I have a Pinterest invitation you might be interested in. Would you be kind enough to write me?
    carmencitab @ carmencitab . com ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - it looks fabulous on you, what a fantastic colour!
    Your hem sounded frustrating, but it looks fine in the photo, I am sure no-one would have noticed!

    ReplyDelete