Saturday, August 13, 2011

Rosy Rosy Rosy Tea Cosy

Its a rare day lately that I sit down to relax without a crochet hook in my hand.

I have about 4 projects on the go at any given time.   But occasionally I do finish a project and it helps when deadlines like birthdays give me the push I need.

Meet my newest offspring: Rosy Rosy Rosy Tea Cozy.  




RRRTC (as she's affectionately known) is a hybrid of knit and crochet and is a collaborative effort.  My lovely friend Jenny knitted the body of the tea cosy for me using Braided Cable Tea Cosies, designed by Amelia Carlson.   I then set to work embellishing and adorning, because I do believe to make it in this world as a tea cosy, you have to be WAY more than functional.  You have to cross the line into the land of excess.  I love excess on tea cosies.

You just want to keep your tea warm?   Throw a frigging tea towel over the pot and go away with your whingeing.  Sheesh.

To make RRRTC I collected my resources from all around the web:  

Crochet roses and leaves came from here: http://www.crochetspot.com/detailed-explaination-of-crochet-rose-pattern/   I love the rose in this pattern, but its a bit large and would have made RRRTC a little top heavy, so I omitted the second row and just started creating the petals on the foundation row.   Result?  Perfect rose for a teapot.   Some leaves I made longer and skinnier, by just doing one side only.   These half leaves curl nicely as an added bonus.  

Tendrils came from this fabulous book.   They're corkscrew curls for a border.   Again, I tinkered and made them thinner using single crochets instead of doubles.   and I changed the lengths so I had a few different sizes.  



A big chunk of inspiration came from here :   Crochet with Raymond.  

The yarn is a Spotlight 100% low pill acrylic called Peony that I got at a 40% off all wool sale.  Its beautiful to hook and feels so soft and lovely.  More of this yarn will be purchased.   I fancy I bought all the nice colours.   I need me a rainbow and would love some yellow and orange in this wool.   Can you hear me Spotlight?  Yellow and orange.

To put it together, I dressed the pot in the cosy and sewed on the roses, then added the leaves and the tendrils, then made another tendril out of purple that I could pop onto the top because there's one heck of a mess in there.   I think I may plan it better next time.  

And there will be a next time.

RRRTC#2 is already in production.  I made one tendril and two leaves on the way to work this morning. And my train ride is only 15 minutes.  

One more look before I go

lore
x


PS-  I will never buy the cheapest camera in the shop again.   This Pentax was $95 and seemed to tick all the boxes at the time but it just can't capture red in any way shape or form, turns it into some weird blur.   And don't get me started on its abysmal macro.   *sob*

3 comments:

  1. As I said yesterday, it looks sensational with all your embellishments. Do I need to knit another one H. I see by your blog you are making more leaves and tendrils? Can't believe my name is in print on the computer - so exciting!!
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. H, it's been about 6 weeks since you posted anything, what have you been up to???????
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. i required this type of information.your site provide the good information about this hope you provide the more information about this thanks for nice information.Listen Radios Live Online

    ReplyDelete