Thursday, October 15, 2009

fabric basket / fabric bucket - my own version

My first attempt was a bit like this one but i didnt like the way it wasnt really firm on the base.  And who wants to be faffing around with linings and outers, I just wanted to have as few seams as possible.

So I was playing around with making a base, and I thought - hey - how about delving into that pile of cds that i'm too 'green' to throw away and wanted to use for a project one day..

ta da, the fabric basket ala compact disque was born.  2 seams (albeit one fiddly round one).

and again

I quite fancy posting a tutorial, as I've got out my calculator and revisited high school maths (well the pi bit, anyway) and worked out how to make it so there's no annoying bit at the end of sewing on the base where you go, dammit - too short, or dammit - too much fabric.

And you get to use up those pesky discs that lie around the house


Sunday, October 4, 2009

Baby quilt

This project grew out of a 3 pack of charm squares.  They turned out to be a bad investment, they were cheap at, I think, $4 for each bundle of 40 charms.   I made the disappearing nine patch but the fabric was so stretchy and 'strandy' that the end result was a dog's breakfast.

Enter a little creative appliqueing and lots of sewing reinforcement.

I think I managed to save the day and its a present for a baby whose mum is very earth mother so would prefer something a little homespun rather than perfection, so perhaps all's well that ends well.

But the moral of the story is to only buy good quality fabric.  Cheap = cheap !